Catmon. If local history would be taken into account, the barangay known today as Catmon became a full-pledged barangay as far back as 1888. Elders of the barrio, the most knowledgeable of local sources purport that the Spaniards themselves gave the place its name mainly due to the presence of a wide forested area in the village, dominated by plant trees called Catmon.
Catmon played a significant role in the history of Malolos. Being a thickly forested area, with imposing Acacia trees, bamboo, and other huge forest cover, the Spaniards feared the area. Rebel forces found safe haven in Catmon’s forest to cover up their activities against the colonizers, while in an area so near the town center. This gave Katipuneros strategic advantage over their enemies who could only chase them as far as the forest would begin hiding them in its fearsome darkness.
Catmon, then and now contributes to the historical, economical, political, and social development of Malolos City, being one of the most urbanized barangays that play host to both local business and transient investors. It also the gateway to the historic Barasoain Church—site of the first Philippine Congress.
The patron Saint of Catmin is San Sebastian. Old folks deemed it appropriate to have this Saint as their patron, as the holy man, like the people of Catmon, spent most of his life living and crusading for the faith in forested areas.
1,828 as of 2007 Source: NSO Census of Population, 2007